Estonia may be a small country, but its tech industry has made significant strides in recent years. The examples of successful global expansion of Estonian companies demonstrate the potential of Estonian businesses to compete and succeed in the global market. With a strong focus on technology, a skilled workforce, and supportive government policies, Estonia has the potential to continue to produce successful companies that make a positive impact on the world. The success of these companies shows that Estonian businesses have the potential to become major players in the global economy.
Global Expansion of Estonian Companies
Estonia is a country that has a strong focus on technology, and several Estonian companies have successfully expanded globally. Here are some examples of successful Estonian companies that have established a presence in international markets:
- Skype: Skype is a well-known communication application that was developed by Estonian software engineers Ahti Heinla, Priit Kasesalu, and Jaan Tallinn. The application allows users to make voice and video calls, send instant messages, and share files online. The company was founded in 2003 and was acquired by Microsoft in 2011 for $8.5 billion. Today, Skype is used by millions of people around the world.
- TransferWise: TransferWise is a financial technology company that provides an online money transfer service. Founded in 2011 by Estonian entrepreneurs Taavet Hinrikus and Kristo Käärmann, TransferWise has grown rapidly in recent years and now has operations in over 70 countries. The company has been recognized for its innovative approach to international money transfers and has received several awards for its services.
- Bolt: Bolt (formerly known as Taxify) is a ride-hailing platform that was founded in Estonia in 2013. The platform allows users to request rides from drivers who are registered with the service. Bolt has expanded rapidly in recent years and now has operations in over 50 countries. The company has been recognized for its commitment to providing affordable and reliable transportation services.
- Pipedrive: Pipedrive is a customer relationship management software company that was founded in Estonia in 2010. The company provides a platform for businesses to manage their sales processes and track their progress. Pipedrive has expanded rapidly in recent years and now has operations in over 170 countries. The company has been recognized for its user-friendly interface and intuitive design.
- Starship Technologies: Starship Technologies is a robotics company that provides autonomous delivery services. The company was founded in Estonia in 2014 by Ahti Heinla and Janus Friis. Starship's delivery robots can transport goods such as groceries, parcels, and food from local businesses directly to customers' homes. The company has expanded rapidly in recent years and now has operations in several countries, including the US, UK, and Germany.