The International Trade Policy Business Council (ITPBC) within the International Trade Council is a dedicated forum committed to dissecting, understanding, and influencing the ever-evolving landscape of global trade policies. Recognizing the complexities inherent in cross-border commerce, the council aims to support businesses by demystifying international trade regulations, highlighting policy shifts, and promoting best practices in compliance, due diligence, and corporate responsibility.
- Peter Benjamin Chen, Chairman & Founder, G8 Management Pty Ltd & The Sabina Group [LinkedIn]
Areas of Focus:
- Trade Policy Analysis: The council routinely studies and analyzes international trade policies, interpreting their implications for various industries and sectors, thereby assisting businesses in strategic decision-making.
- Sanctions: With economic sanctions becoming a pivotal tool in geopolitics, the ITPBC offers insights into the latest sanction regimes, their ramifications, and compliance strategies.
- Know Your Customer (KYC): Emphasizing the importance of understanding and vetting business partners, the council promotes best practices in KYC to mitigate risks and ensure legitimate trade transactions.
- Anti-Money Laundering (AML): The ITPBC delves into AML standards, offering guidance on international regulations, detection techniques, and compliance strategies to prevent illicit financial activities.
- Due Diligence: Recognizing the importance of thorough business investigations, the council underscores the need for comprehensive due diligence in international trade, be it in mergers, acquisitions, or partnerships.
- Protecting Companies: Beyond compliance, the council emphasizes strategies and tools to safeguard businesses from potential threats, such as fraud, IP theft, or unfair trade practices.
- Latest Policy Changes: With trade policies subject to rapid changes, the ITPBC ensures members are abreast of the latest policy modifications, trade agreements, and shifts in international trade dynamics.
- Trade Advocacy: Acting as a voice for the international trade community, the council engages with policymakers, advocating for favorable trade policies and reforms that can facilitate smoother global commerce.
- Networking and Collaboration: The ITPBC offers a platform for businesses, policy experts, legal professionals, and regulators to interact, share perspectives, and collaborate on pressing trade policy issues.
- Capacity Building and Training: With the belief that informed businesses are empowered businesses, the council organizes workshops, seminars, and training sessions on critical trade policy topics, compliance, and best practices.
- Trade Dispute Resolution: Providing resources on mechanisms for addressing trade disputes, the council also emphasizes international arbitration, mediation, and other conflict resolution methods.
- Future Policy Trends: Anticipating the trajectory of international trade, the council forecasts potential policy shifts, helping businesses prepare and adapt to the future trade landscape.
Outputs of the Business Council:
- Research Reports
- Legislative Recommendations
- Thought-Pieces / Blog Posts
- Participation in Industry Events
- Collation of Industry News