- UNECA: Preparations are underway for the Tenth African Development Forum (ADF) to be convened by the Economic Commission for Africa, the African Union and the African Development Bank. The forum, which brings together a large number of participants, including Heads of State and Government, policy makers of African member States, development partners, UN agencies, academics, civil society organizations, the private sector, eminent policy and opinion leaders, among others, will be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 15-17 November on the theme; “Migration and Africa’s transformation”. Parallel events will take place from 13-14 November.
- AFRICA- USA: On September 22-23 will be held in Washington the 15th Annual United States – Sub-Saharan Africa Trade and Economic Cooperation Forum
- AFRICA- ARAB: The African Union Commission (AUC) and the General Secretariat of the League of Arab States (LAS) held a series of extensive meetings at the Headquarters of LAS in Cairo to discuss all issues related to the implementation of the 3rd Africa –Arab Summit held in Kuwait 2013 and the preparation of the upcoming 4th Africa-Arab Summit which will be held in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, Nov 2016. First: The second meeting of Africa-Arab partnership of working Groups on Trade, Investment, Transport, Communication and Energy was held from 07 to 11 August 2016 at the Headquarters of League of Arab States
- AFRICA – JAPAN: on August 26, opening ceremony of the Preparation for the Sixth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD-VI) began with a Senior Official’s Meeting (SOM) at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
- MALI: On late August held in Bamako a Workshop on the line of Microfinance Policy designing process
- AFRICA: Pan-African tech hub network AfriLabs has confirmed its annual gathering will take place in October (25-27) in Accra, Ghana, aimed at allowing representatives of the African innovation ecosystem to share ideas.
- AFRICA: Facebook is supporting and sponsoring She Leads Africa an African enterprise and women’s business-focused movement, to help ensure female entrepreneurs and professionals across the world unlock their full potential. She Leads Africa’s hugely successful bootcamp program, SheHive /SheHive-London), was held in London from August 18th-21st 2016.
- MALI: On September 24 there will be a launch at the Business Incubation Space in Bamako the YES Inc MALI 5th intensive Entrepreneurship Trainings for Women and Young people. Those trainings are powered by YES Inc MALI in partnership with Mali Government. Over 1000 people will receive Entrepreneurship Skills and get right resources for starting their business
- NIGER: On August 12 Niger celebrated the International Youth Day in agribusiness context by organizing a young Agripreneurs networking event
- NIGERIA: On August 18, Nigerian VC firm Venture Garden Group has launched GreenHouse Capital, which it claims is the largest fintech investment fund by portfolio size in Sub-Saharan Africa
- NIGERIA: US -based Y Combinator is to visit Nigeria on September as part of an extensive global tour as it looks to increase awareness of its programs and identify promising startups.
- KENYA: AgriProFocus in collaboration with the Netherlands Platform for Inclusive Finance (NpM) – the leading national platform for inclusive finance worldwide – held a half day consultative forum on inclusive finance for smallholders on Thursday, 28th July 2016 at Amber Hotel in Nairobi
- RWANDA: For the eighth time, AgriProFocus Rwanda organized the Agri-Finance & Market Linkages event in Ruhango on 11-12 August 2016. During the 2 days, the fair brought together 24 exhibitors and attracted more than 2000 farmers who visited
- SOUTH AFRICA: South African fintech company Zoona has raised US$15 million in a second round of financing led by the International Finance Corporation (IFC), which will help Zoona scale its operations to reach 10 markets and 30 million active consumers across Africa by 2020
- TANZANA: on mid August an annual national event that brought together policy makers, farmers, consumers, agribusiness technologists and innovators as well as producers and suppliers of farm products such as seeds, fertiliser and insecticides
Prizes & Awards
- Small and Medium Enterprises at the Vodafone Business solution awards on early August
- South African startups Domestly and FitKey are among the six finalists at the MTN Business App of the Year Awards
- Applications have opened for this year’s edition of PIVOT East, which will see 25 startups from the East Africa region selected to pitch in front of an audience of investors, media and other stakeholders
- The 12 Anzhisa Prize finalists receive an all-expenses paid trip to Johannesburg for a rigorous two-week business accelerator camp beginning on 13th October, 2016. The grand prize-winner will be announced at an exclusive gala event on 25 October, 2016.